Medical Residents & Fellows
Coverage Designed with You in Mind
As a Medical Resident or Fellow, you may obtain a monthly benefit up to $10,000 per month of individual disability coverage1. The amount of the maximum monthly benefit will depend on your specialty.
Individual disability insurance coverage with Berkshire Life Insurance Company of America, a Guardian company is on a Guaranteed Standard Issue basis:
- No medical underwriting required
- Definition of Total Disability: Enhanced Medical True Own-Occupation Definition
- Benefit period to age 65 or 67
- Up to a 30% permanent discount2
Optional riders include:
- Enhanced Partial Disability Rider along with a Recovery Benefit to match your benefit period (to age 65 or 67)
- A 3% or 6% Cost of Living Adjustment Rider3
- Retirement Protection Plus (RPP) Disability Benefit Rider4
- Enhanced Catastrophic Disability Benefit Rider
- Future Increase Option Rider5
- Student Loan Protection Rider6
Contact your University Endorsed Agent:
(Departments: Dermatology & Medical Dermatology, Family Medicine, Neurology, OBGYN, & Sports Medicine)
(Departments: Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Colorectal, Gastro, Hem/Onc, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Plastics, PM&R, Radiology, Surgery, Thoracic, Urology, & Vascular)
(Departments: Endo/ID, Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Pediatric, Pulm C.C., Renal, & Rheumatology)
(Departments: ENT, Ophthalmology, Pathology, & Psychiatry)
1 The maximum monthly benefit amount may not exceed Guardian's New Young Professionals Limit at that time. The remainder of the amount you're eligible for up to $10,000 can be allocated between the Base Monthly Benefit and the Future Increase Rider.
2 30% discount consists of a 10% mental and/or substance-related disorders limitation, a 10% Student/Resident Discount (one must apply within 90 days of completing your program to receive) and a Preferred Occupation Discount.
3 This benefit is not necessarily protection against increases in the cost of living.
4 Retirement Protection Plus is not a pension plan, qualified retirement plan, or qualified individual retirement account or a substitute for one.
5 Conditions and limitations apply. Medical information is not required when applying to exercise an increase option. Taken into consideration are: financial information as well as all disability insurance in force, for which you’ve applied, or are eligible to receive.
6 Eligibility may vary by product, state and/or occupation.